The Pleasantville School Board adopted its 2020-21 budget Tuesday night. The levy rate will be $18.20021 per $1,000 of taxable valuation.
Board members also approved a proposal from Boland Recreation of Marshalltown for new playground equipment at the elementary school. The cost will be $112,302 This price covers delivery and installation.
The COVID-19 pandemic was among the topics of discussion. Superintendent Tony Aylsworth reported that all facilities have been deep cleaned and disinfected. He hosted the maintenance staff for lunch to show his appreciation. Aylsworth plans to do the same for the food staff, who has been working to provide grab and go meals for students while facilities are closed. Around 750 meals have been provided each week for Pleasantville children.
Gov. Kim Reynolds is expected to provide direction Thursday, April 16, regarding whether districts can reopen for classes for the remainder of the 2019-20 school year. Schools are closed until at least April 30. Contingency plans are being made if classes and activities can return to normal on May 1. If schools are allowed to reopen, prom has been moved to May 9.
The Tribune will keep you posted regarding the future of the school year. In other action, new hires were approved. They include:
– Erin McBroom – Junior High Science Teacher
– Britney Flaws – 3rd grade Teacher
– Carly Bredehoeft – Preschool Teacher
– Mack Jorth – Assistant Girls Track
– Graham McGraw – Assistant Softball Coach
– Michael Cook – JH Head Baseball Coach
– Isaac Dieke – JH Assistant Baseball Coach
– Tom Wilkins – Head Basketball Coach
– Earnie Colbooth – Volunteer Baseball Coach
– Kyle Amendt – Volunteer Baseball Coach
– Robert Friday – Volunteer Softball Coach
– Alli Friday – Booster Club Concession Stand Manager
The next regular meeting will be held May 14 at 6:30 p.m.