PELLA, Iowa— An alarming 33 percent of Americans currently suffer from cardiovascular disease. Wound Care and Hyperbaric Medicine at Pella Regional is spreading awareness how cardiovascular diseases can affect the wound healing process during Heart Health Month in February.
Chronic wounds affect approximately 6.7 million people in the United States and, if left untreated, an unhealed wound on the foot or leg can lead to a diminished quality of life and possible amputation. As many as 82 percent of leg amputations are due to poor circulation of the affected limb.
Cardiovascular diseases such as coronary artery disease, peripheral artery disease, strokes, arrhythmia, vascular disease and other issues with the heart and vessels can cause blockages that obstruct the flow of blood needed for proper wound healing.
Wound Care and Hyperbaric Medicine at Pella Regional offer these tips to live a heart healthy life.
· Live an active lifestyle with 30 minutes of exercise on most days.
· Don’t smoke or use tobacco of any kind as it is one of the most significant risk factors for developing heart disease.
· Eat a diet that is heart-healthy. This includes lots of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, beans and other low-fat sources of protein.
· Maintain a healthy weight. Obesity can lead to high blood pressure, high cholesterol and diabetes. All of these chronic conditions can lead to heart disease.
· Ensure you get quality sleep by making it a priority in your life. Most adults need seven to nine hours of sleep each night.
· Manage your stress in a healthy way with positive self-talk, using stress stoppers, doing things you enjoy, and relaxing on a regular basis.
· See your healthcare provider for regular screenings. This includes blood pressure, cholesterol and diabetes screenings.
· Take off your socks at your next checkup and speak up about any problems with your legs or feet.
If you are living with a wound and cardiovascular disease, contact Pella Regional’s Wound Care and Hyperbaric Medicine at 641-628-6615.
Pella Regional Health Center is a not-for-profit provider of health care that is accredited by The Joint Commission. Its mission is to provide healthcare and healing services with Christian compassion. Information on Pella Regional Health Center and its clinics is available by calling Public Relations at 641-621-2362 or visiting the website, www.pellahealth.org.