Late November 2019 marked the Grand Theater’s fourth anniversary! Since opening in 2015, the response from our community has been excellent. Sean Skeehan, Executive Director of the Grand Theater Foundation, says: “Folks appreciate having an affordable hometown theater that’s well maintained and offers a diverse selection of movies.”
During the first four years, the Grand Theater has hit several milestones, including:
– 120,301 admissions sold
– 270 different feature-length movies screened
– 56,550+ popcorns served
– 40,223+ servings of butter topping
– 46,895+ candies served
– 83,069+ drinks served
A few highlights from our fourth year of operation:
– new front doors and windows have made our entrance more attractive, energy efficient and secure
– the 3rd annual screening of THE ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW
– screened all the 2018 Oscar Nominated Shorts
– a free screening of MIRACLE ON 34th STREET was warmly received by the community
– hosted the Knoxville Chamber of Commerce annual meeting, The Heritage Foundation’s grant recipient presentation, birthday parties, and an elaborate marriage proposal, and other rental events!
– every month we have a morning matinee for our friends at COC from Knoxville and neighboring towns
– hundreds of gift certificates have been donated to schools, churches, prom committees, benefits and local charities to aid in their fundraising efforts
– our hundreds of volunteers continue to be integral to our successful operation and were celebrated on Volunteer Appreciation Night in April.
– we continue Upstairs/Downstairs where a couple of days every week the films flip from upstairs to downstairs and vise-versa enabling patrons to see all our movie titles in their preferred theater – avoiding the stairs should they desire or viewing a movie in the more intimate upstairs auditorium.
– Congressman Dave Loebsack visited for an informational tour of the facility in November
The Grand Theater strives to engage a wide audience by programming a regularly changing selection of titles and different genres appealing to many diverse tastes. In addition to blockbuster action or comedy films, we also program dramas and titles from smaller studios that aren’t widely shown elsewhere in Iowa. The community is encouraged to sample all our different offerings, not just the super-hero, animated or outer-space features and to offer suggestions about titles. Additionally, we’re always on the lookout for ways to streamline operations, better organize the facility, and improve the customer experience – if you have suggestions, please let us know.
The Grand Theater Foundation’s earned revenues from ticket and concession sales cover most of our operating expenses but we rely on the generosity of individuals, groups, other foundations and businesses to close the gap and to fund improvements to our efficiency, audience comfort, and program offerings. We welcome gifts to the Grand Theater Foundation that ensure our continued presence and success in the years to come.
Details on all the programming at the Grand Theater are on our website: www.GrandTheaterKnoxville.org. Follow us on Facebook. For current performances, movie titles and show times call our phone service at 641-842-5415.