From the Knoxville Fire Department
On 11/11/2019 at 2007 hours the Knoxville Fire Department was dispatched to Hormel for an ammonia leak. Department responded with 2 engines, 3 ambulances 1 rescue and 1 command car with 12 personnel.
When the fire department arrived, we found that a valve was not functioning properly and leaking liquid ammonia. Hormel’s safety features worked as they should and confined the leak to the room of origin. Haz-Mat teams from Hormel and Marion County made entry into the room and were able to isolate the leaking valve and turn it off. Crews continued to monitor the air until levels were safe for Hormel’s crews to begin repairs on the leaking valve.
There were no injuries reported, and no residents had to be evacuated
Knoxville Fire Department was assisted on scene by Knoxville PD, Hormel Haz-Mat team, Marion County Haz-Mat team, Pella EMS, Marion County EMA, and Marion County Sherriff’s office
All units returned to the station at 2321 hours