Knoxville’s Homecoming Week was kicked off Friday afternoon, with the annual pep rally and announcement of the candidates for Homecoming King and Queen.
Students and staff packed into the Knoxville High School gym for performances by the pep band and dance team. Students were also instructed by KHS Principal Tracy Wilkins to remember to be safe, respectable and responsible during the week. They are under threat of losing the many activities the KHS Student Senate has already worked hard to schedule.
Knoxville School Resource Officer Kyle Keller reiterated what Wilkins had to say. He and Wilkins both stressed that the Knoxville Police Department and school staff ultimately just want them to have a good time.
Several students were then called to the gym floor to face off against selected staff members in intense games of rock, paper, scissors.
Then it was time for the big announcement, who will be the 2019 Homecoming Court. Queen Candidates this year include Meredith Clingman, Claire Fay, Abbey Jackson, Katie Keitges, Anna McDonald and Lauren Micetich. King candidates include Dom Avon, Ian Crossett, Ben Olson, Kyle Ramsey and Cooper Worth. There are six candidates of each gender this year, due to a tie.
Homecoming activities related to the high school are listed below. Knoxville football will play South Tama Friday, Oct. 11, at 7:30 p.m. at Ken Locke Stadium for Homecoming.
2019 HOMECOMING ACTIVITIES
Follow Student Senate on Twitter @senate_KHS
DODGEBALL – SATURDAY, 10/5
- Start at 6 pm in HS gym
- Teams up to 8 members (6 play at a time)
- Separate brackets for males and females
- If you have a combined team then you play in the male bracket
- Winning teams in each bracket will earn points for their grade (teams can be mixed grades)
HOMECOMING BONFIRE – SATURDAY 10/5
TIME/LOCATION: Bonfire Starts at 7:30pm @ Gravel Parking Lot
(S of the Randy Wilson Track)
REMINDER: Bonfire will start once Dodgeball is done
DRESS-UP DAYS – ALL WEEK, 10/7-10/11
Monday: ER/OR Day (Dress as something that ends with -er or -or)
Tuesday: Superhero Day
Wednesday: Out of this World Day (Star Wars or Space Gear)
Thursday: Retro Day (Pick a Decade and dress-up through the decades)
Friday: Spirit Day (Black and Gold, or Class t-shirt day)
- Outfits must be school appropriate. If not, students will be sent home.
- Pictures will be taken each day during 1st Panther Time/Advisory in a location to be announced
- Points will be awarded to the grade with the highest participation, based on who gets their picture taken.
CLASS CUP COMPETITION – ALL WEEK,10/7-10/11
- Activities throughout Homecoming
- Each grade will try to earn points to win the “Class Competition Cup”
- Different events are worth different amounts of points
- The food drive will be one of the best opportunities to earn points
FOOD DRIVE (BIG POINTS HERE!!!) – ALL WEEK, 10/7-10/11
- ALL donations must be brought to Mr. Gibbons’s room by lunch on Friday
- You can drop-off during the week
- Each class is trying to gather the most non-perishable food items
- All donations will go to Helping Hands
- Bonus days will be announced during the week!
- Double points will be awarded for meat donations (only cans of tuna count – not packets), peanut butter, and fruit.
- We will be collecting donations at the following activities:
- Dodgeball, Bags, and Iron Man VB
- The class that gathers the most items will get major points/ONE point per can.
- Certain items may not count for a full point.
- Examples: Ramen noodles, Jello Packs, Vienna Sausage are 4 packs/boxes for 1 point
VOTING FOR KING AND QUEEN – MONDAY 10/7 – WEDNESDAY, 10/9
- Voting will occur via email during Homecoming week
- All 9-12th graders will vote online, check your email daily!
BAGS TOURNAMENT – TUESDAY, 10/8
- Bags tournament starts at 6 pm in HS gym
- Teams will consist of two people (Teams can be mixed grades)
- Forms can be picked up in the HS office
- There will be a single bracket for all teams
- Winning teams in each bracket will earn points for their grade
THURSDAY JERSEY AUCTION/PEP RALLY, 10/10
- Jersey Auction starts @ 5:30pm
- All proceeds are split between the junior class and football program
- Pep Rally starts @ 7:00pm
- Announcement of the court
- Performances by:
- KHS Band, KHS Dance Team and KHS Cheerleaders/Cheer Clinic Participants
POWDERPUFF FOOTBALL – THURSDAY, 10/10 IMMEDIATELY AFTER PEP RALLY
- One team for each grade will compete at Ken Locke Stadium in a flag football game
- The first round will have 9th grade vs 12th grade and 11th grade vs 10th grade
- The game will include 8 minute halves with a 2 minute halftime
- Winners and losers will have a game after the first
- Consolation game and Championship game
- Each team may have only two coaches on the field with them
- If you are removed from the game for contact, rough play, or arguing with the referee then 100 pts will be deducted from your grade’s point total
IRONMAN VOLLEYBALL – THURSDAY, 10/10
- Start roughly around 9:15 p.m. in the HS gym
- One team per grade (Possible Male and Female Teacher teams)
- Best 2 out of 3 games to 15 points or a time limit of 15 minutes (3rd game to 10 pts)
- Each team may have only two coaches on the field with them
- No inappropriate clothing may be worn (i.e. spanx or revealing clothing)
- Any issues and you will receive a 100 pt deduction to your grade’s point total
CLASS COMPETITION @ ASSEMBLY – FRIDAY, 10/11
- During the spirit assembly, students will compete for final points to help their class win the Class Competition Cup Trophy
- Students can sign-up to be part of the competitions during the assembly using the link below, it will also be emailed out and listed in the high school daily announcements.
- Sign-Up Link: https://forms.gle/cMygMJ8tyNWAoF1cA
DANCE OFF @ ASSEMBLY – FRIDAY, 10/11
- Each grade will perform a dance created by the Dance Team
- Participation is voluntary
- Practice will be during Panther Time or can be outside of school.
- If at the school, sign-up on FlexiSCHED and teacher supervision needed
- Performance of the dance will happen during the class competition at the Friday assembly
- The winning team will be awarded points for the class cup competition
FRIDAY, 10/11 SCHEDULE (Friday we will be running a shortened schedule)
Block 1 8:00-9:05
Block 2 9:10-10:10
Block 3 10:15-11:15
1ST Lunch Panther Time
Panther Time 2ND Lunch
Block 4 12:20-1:20
*Dismissed at 2:15 for Parade (Parade begins at 3:00)
9TH//VARSITY FOOTBALL GAME- FRIDAY, 10/11
- Come cheer on the 9th grade and Varsity teams as they take on the South Tama Trojans!
- Freshman game is at 4:45 AND varsity kicks off at 7:30 at Ken Locke Stadium
HOMECOMING DANCE – SATURDAY, 10/12
- Saturday night from 8:00-11:00 in the HS Commons
- $10 per person- If you donate a non-expired canned good, ticket will be $5 per person
- All canned goods will be donated to Helping Hands
- If you are bringing a person from out of town, there is a form in the office to fill out and it must be returned to the high school BEFORE the dance
- Dress attire: Jeans or khaki shorts are acceptable, NO t-shirts, sweatshirts, sweatpants or hats allowed
- If you need to go to your car, you may be escorted out by a staff member
If you leave the dance unescorted then you cannot come back.