On June 15 at 6:19 p.m., the Knoxville Fire Department was dispatched to the 600 block of North 7th Street for a roof that had collapsed with a person trapped. Gas was also leaking in the building, according to the initial call.
The Knoxville Fire Department responded with one engine, two ambulances, one rescue and a command car with nine personnel. When the department arrived, they found one room had the ceiling collapse, the staff member who had been in the room at the time of the collapse had gotten out and was waiting for EMS.
The staff member was transported to the hospital with non-life threatening injuries. The department checked the building for gas leaks and found that there was no gas leaking. Structural stability was accessed and it was deemed that for safety reasons several rooms in that wing were going to be shut down until building officials can get in to look at the damage and make a full assessment.
Knoxville Fire Department was assisted on scene by Knoxville PD, Marion County Sheriff’s Office, Pella EMS, and Marion County EMA.